There is a guy on YouTube, an atheist, responded to fifty questions “written by some person in comic sans.” Whatever that means. He made a video to answer those questions. The video was interesting but his answers were a little different than I would answer so I decided to give them a shot myself. The other guy’s answers were a bit too cerebral and sometimes not as direct as I tend to be.
The last few questions seem a bit …odd… and it’s hard to believe ordinary christians would ask them but I took a shot at them anyway.
I did not bother with images in this post. Hope I have not bored you too much with actual words.
The original YouTube is at the bottom of this post. Here goes…
- Why don’t you believe in god.
- Because after fifty years it finally occurred to me that the whole idea is absurd.
- Because the size of the universe completely negates the idea that some “creator” made all that and then concentrated on a nothing planet in all this space.
- Because there’s no such thing as an “answered prayer.”
- Because there isn’t one.
- Where is your evidence that god doesn’t exist?
- Where’s your evidence that a god does exist?
- Which god do you want me to “prove” does not exist?
- It’s a stupid question. Next…
- Why do you hate god?
- I don’t. Why would I “hate” something / someone that does not exist?
- Do you believe in the existence of Jesus?
- If no, where is your evidence that Jesus didn’t exist?
- Historical records.
- There were many men in the era and location that were named yeshu‘a, the original name for Jesus. Look it up.
- Even if there was some prophet that did exist who is named “Jesus” that does not prove divinity.
- Why do you hate Jesus.
- I don’t. Same reason I don’t hate god.
- Have you ever read the Bible?
- Yes, cover to cover and many, many times.
- Do you believe people have souls?
- Define soul.
- Even if people have souls or something beyond their physical body it would not prove there is a god.
- If no, what is your evidence?
- I did not say no. I do not know.
- You have to define “soul.”
- Do you reject all gods or just the christian god?
- All gods.
- Why do you care so much about what other people believe?
- I don’t, as long as they keep it to themselves.
- And I do, because I don’t like seeing people waste their lives and becoming all fucked up like I was so long.
- Where do you get your sense of right and wrong?
- Humans have an innate sense of right and wrong.
- The definition of “right” and “wrong” is relative and changes even among christians depending on the denomination and over time.
- What evidence would convince you that god exists.
- Or, god would have to talk to me directly.
- Why are you against the idea of faith?
- What is faith? It’s choosing to believe something you can’t prove exists. I’m not against it, I just think it’s stupid.
- Why do you attack christians?
- I don’t, ordinarily.
- I do when they are total idiots and demand that the country or me personally “believe” as they do, or else.
- Why do you hate christians?
- I don’t.
- I hate people who are bullies, who insist upon their own rules for everyone, who are cruel or selfish. Many christians fall into that category.
- Why do you mock and scoff at christians?
- Because it’s so easy to, considering so many say and do stupid things.
- Are you aware that you are fulfilling biblical prophecy?
- That’s impossible because prophecy is bullshit.
- Why do you want to stop people from believing in god?
- Because this world would be much better off without all the prejudice, hatred, self-righteousness, and lies that come from such beliefs.
- Because poverty would go away and wars would end.
- Why do you give muslims a pass?
- I don’t. Stupid is stupid, no what they wear or say.
- Why do you pretend to have all the answers?
- I don’t. No one does. Only a fool thinks he has answers.
- Religious people are the ones who claim to have all the answers.
- Why do you claim to be skeptical when you are unwilling to change your mind?
- I am always willing to change my mind.
- I rely on evidence and reality, not superstition and imaginary beliefs.
- I have already changed my mind because I woke up and saw how stupid I was.
- Why do you go after christian museums that are just trying to tell the truth?
- I am not opposed to museums that actually tell the truth.
- Religious doctrine and belief is not the truth and museums such as the Noah’s Arc museum and others are stupid and are designed to deceive people. I am entirely opposed to that.
- I think the man who built the Arc museum is an idiot who should have spent his money where his Jesus would have, on the poor and needy.
- How can you claim to be agnostic and atheist at the same time.
- I don’t. I’m atheist.
- Why do you reject people’s personal experiences?
- Many “personal experiences” are just stupid or are the result of misguided thinking.
- Religious epiphanies or experiences are caused by adrenaline rushes, not the holy ghost.
- I reject any “experience” that claims to show god at work. This includes those I had.
- If atheism is just an opinion, why do you behave like it’s a fact?
- It is neither fact nor opinion, it is what I am by definition. The fact is that I know there is no such thing as a “creator god.”
- How do you square the fact that some of the most evil people in history are atheists?
- The most evil people in history were not atheists. Hitler was a christian. Hundreds of other tyrants were religious, christian or muslim or some other religion.
- Why do you believe in evolution (evilution)?
- I don’t believe in it. I don’t “believe” in anything.
- Evolution seems like a good theory and there appears to be evidence that it is true.
- Where is your evidence for evolution?
- I don’t have any. Look it up.
- Have you ever observed evolution?
- I haven’t looked for it.
- Do you believe in abiogenesis, panspermia or creation.
- Creation is a stupid idea. There has to be a creator for there to be a creation.
- Otherwise, beats the hell out of me.
- If you believe in abiogenesis or panspermia where is your evidence?
- I don’t “believe” in anything. I said that already.
- I don’t know which is fact and it does not matter.
- What was the first life form?
- Which life form and where? On this planet or somewhere else?
- Beats the hell out of me. I was not there.
- Where did the first life form come from?
- See above.
- Could the first life form reproduce on its own?
- See above.
- Did the first life form have DNA?
- See above. I have no clue.
- Did the first life form seek out food or did it use biosynthesis?
- Um… see above.
- Are viruses alive?
- I have no clue. I just know they suck.
- Why do you believe in the Big Bang theory?
- I do not “believe” in anything. Quit asking that.
- It seems like a legitimate theory so it’s cool with me.
- I don’t know for sure, I was not there.
- Where is your evidence for the Big Bang?
- Look it up.
- Did you observe the Big Bang?
- What’s with all the Big Bang questions?
- No. That’s a very stupid question.
- Why do you believe the earth is millions of years old.
- Because it seems logical.
- Where is your evidence for the earth being millions of years old?
- Where is your evidence for the garden of Eden?
- How old are you?
- Old enough. 65
- Why do you reject the historical flood as described in genesis?
- Because it is stupid and illogical. Where would all the water come from? Where did it go?
- There are several “flood” stories in different ancient cultures.
- The Chinese and the Aztecs have no record of it happening and they were around then.
- If it did happen I’d hate your god because it is a description of mass murder. How can christians not see that? It bothered me all the time I was a christian.
- Where is your evidence that the flood didn’t happen.
- I don’t need evidence, just a brain that can rationalize what can and cannot possibly be real.
- See above, the Chinese and Aztec people didn’t get washed away.
- Why do you reject the story of the garden of Eden?
- I reject all myths.
- It’s a stupid idea.
- If it were true it would be the first instance of a selfish, cruel god.
- It would mean that the whole human race is the result of incest.
- Where is your evidence that the garden of Eden didn’t exist?
- Where is yours that it did?
- You want me to prove a negative. That is not possible.
- Why do you reject the sacrifice that Jesus made?
- What sacrifice? He “died” for a couple days and then came back?
- He was god so he could tune out any pain.
- People are not “sinners” and didn’t need “salvation.”
- Jesus is a myth.
- Where is your evidence that Jesus wasn’t crucified?
- Lots of people were crucified in that era. It was a horrible thing to do. If there was some guy named Jesus he may have been. Does not make him god.
Here’s the original YouTube: